ARDrone SDK 2.0.1 - Compiling Linux Examples On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I’m trying to compile ARDrone SDK 2.0.1 on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM (64-bit). I was able to build it on 14.04 with the following changes:

$SDKDIR/Examples/Linux/Navigation/Build/Makefile
LIne 131: Add -lm at the end

$SDKDIR/Examples/Linux/video_demo/Build/Makefile
Line 47: Replace for: GENERIC_LIBS=-lpc_ardrone -lrt -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lcairo -lgobject-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lm

$SDKDIR/Examples/Linux/Testbenches/ftp_test/Sources/ardrone_testing_tool.c
Replace uint64_t for “unsigned long long” (lines 285, 286)

However, even though I applied those changes, on 16.04 I still cannot build it successfully. Looks like the base libs are compiled, but the examples (linux_sdk_demo) fails.

After installing dependencies, I extract the SDK, update the Makefiles then try to build it:

cd ~/Projects/ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1/Examples/Linux
make

This is the error:

Building ARDroneTool/Lib
Building ARDroneTool/Lib
dep ardrone_testing_tool.c
dep Video/video_stage.c
dep Navdata/navdata.c
cc Navdata/navdata.c
cc Video/video_stage.c
cc ardrone_testing_tool.c
ld ardrone_testing_tool
../../Soft/Build/targets_versions/linux_sdk_demo_PROD_MODE_vlib_Linux_4.4.0-38-generic_GNU_Linux_usrbingcc_5.4.0/Navdata/navdata.o:(.data+0x80): undefined reference to `demo_navdata_client_init'
../../Soft/Build/targets_versions/linux_sdk_demo_PROD_MODE_vlib_Linux_4.4.0-38-generic_GNU_Linux_usrbingcc_5.4.0/Navdata/navdata.o:(.data+0x88): undefined reference to `demo_navdata_client_process'
../../Soft/Build/targets_versions/linux_sdk_demo_PROD_MODE_vlib_Linux_4.4.0-38-generic_GNU_Linux_usrbingcc_5.4.0/Navdata/navdata.o:(.data+0x90): undefined reference to `demo_navdata_client_release'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
generic.makefile:136: recipe for target '/home/marioc/Projects/ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1/Examples/Linux/sdk_demo/Build/../../Build/Release/ardrone_testing_tool' failed
make[4]: *** [/home/marioc/Projects/ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1/Examples/Linux/sdk_demo/Build/../../Build/Release/ardrone_testing_tool] Error 1
app.makefile:33: recipe for target 'all' failed
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
Makefile:163: recipe for target 'build_app' failed
make[2]: *** [build_app] Error 2
Makefile:70: recipe for target 'linux_sdk_demo' failed
make[1]: *** [linux_sdk_demo] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/marioc/Projects/ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1/Examples/Linux/sdk_demo/Build'
Makefile:5: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

I tried to fix this without success. Was anyone able to make it work?

hola

intenta instalar en una maquina virtual una versión anterior de ubuntu te recomiendo ubuntu precise 12.04 lts a mi me funciono así.

I have the same problem but haven’t find the solution. I can’t change my ubuntu version because of the Nvidia driver. Did you get over the problem with 16.04?

Hi,
Did you solve your issue ?

hi.
I have the same problems.
Please tell me.

Hi, just a word saying that I’ve tried a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 (on VirtualBox) and downloaded the ARDrone SDK 2.0.1, after extracting it and launching the build, everything was running fine :wink:

1  wget http://developer.parrot.com/docs/SDK2/ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1.zip
2  unzip ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1.zip 
3  cd ARDrone_SDK_2_0_1/
4  cd Examples/Linux/
5  make

It automagically downloaded and installed dependancies, and finished build :smiley:

I know it does not answer your issue, but installing VirtualBox / Ubuntu 12.04.5 only took me 20 minutes and now I have compiled and running examples :wink: