Running an application locally in an AR Drone

Product: Parrot AR.DRONE 2.0 Elite Edition
Product version: [X.X.X]
SDK version: [X.X.X]
Use of libARController: [YES/NO] (Only for ARSDK)
SDK platform: [iOS/Android/Unix/Python…]
Reproductible with the official app: NO

Hey everyone!
I am working in a research group on a project that involves using a swarm of mini-drones to run a certain application. From what I have seen online so far, it seems that the SDK and all the other frameworks out there work by communicating with the drone through WIFI/Bluetooth in order to make it do what you want. I was wondering if there is any way to instead write an application that runs locally on the drone’s CPU (i.e. not sending instructions from another device) that could be use to run the drone autonomously without having to connect to it through wifi and send specific instructions? If so, could someone please redirect me to some tutorials/documentation where I could learn how to do this?

Thank you so so much!

This comment in the Droneduino article says the AR Drone firmware (i.e. the program on the drone) is closed firmware, so you can’t update that.

But I read that the AR Drone runs Linux Busy Box so you may be able to run your own programs on it and communicate with it via the localhost port as if were receiving comms externally.