ESC rating on Bebop 2?

Hi all! With this question I’ve gone from the general Parrot forum to specific technical service, which in turn has prompted me to address this developer forum. There sure are a lot of ways to ask for help :slight_smile: I hope this is then the appropriate place. Anyway here’s my question:
I would like to know what the ESC rating is on the Bebop 2. My gut tells me it could be 20A per motor but I can’t be sure. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
You may be wondering why I would like to know this :slight_smile: For a personal project I would like to apply the central guts of a Bebop to a larger frame with more powerful motors and larger propellers. This of course can only happen successfully if I don’t end up smoking the ESCs. My very rough guess is that the ESCs might be 20A per motor but before I go and burn up the ESCs I’d much appreciate it if anyone can shed some light on this.

Hoping for the best and thanks in advance!

Regards,
Adriaan

Product: [Bebop/Bebop2]
— below is irrelevant as I don’t own a Bebop yet ----
Product version: [X.X.X]
SDK version: [X.X.X]
Use of libARController: [YES/NO] (Only for ARSDK)
SDK platform: [iOS/Android/Unix/Python…]
Reproductible with the official app: [YES/NO/Not tried]

0 Likes

Hi,

I don’t know the answer to your question but I know that what you’re trying to do is really a bad idea for many reasons.

Besides safety and warranty issues, I think it would simply not work as you would expect because the drone software won’t know anything about your “upgrades”.

Put simply :
more powerful motors + larger propellers + more weight (obviously) + unadapted drone firmware = unstable flight and/or fly away

Anyway I am curious, what’s the purpose of your personal project ?

Regards,
Nicolas

0 Likes

Hi Nicolas, thanks for the answer. I appreciate your concerns. I’m aware that this kind of intervention would void warranty :slight_smile:.

The purpose of my project, besides being able to apply some payload, is to add positional tracking and control it within the tracking space of a Vive Lighthouse setup (VR system).

I wouldn’t have considered a custom frame for the Bebop myself until I saw a youtube video where someone had done exactly this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_FsG51TTzo. I’ve asked the video poster about the ESCs but he didn’t know. As for flying: as you can see it flies. I build a lot of drones as a hobby (fpv racing drones) and in general it’s actually surprising how you can slap together any variety of hardware and it’ll fly. I agree with you that it’s fair to expect the quadcopter’s tune to be affected by changing components but it’s usually not dramatic, certainly not warranting a fly-away.

0 Likes

Hi Adriaan,
I did experiment a lot with modifying the Bebop 2 with custom motors and frames. My guess is that the ESCs are around 10-15A. They also have a safety feature which sends the bebop 2 to failsafe mode if you draw more power.

I used these motors with a 7in prop (9in props cut to 7in). It would only work 2 in 10 times.

Hope that helps!
I’m planning to further modify the Bebop 2 in the coming months in the hopes of using it to teach a course on drone autonomy. I’ll update you on that if something happens.

Best,
Nitin

0 Likes

Thanks for the extra info on this. Nice to hear that you’ve been applying custom frames and motors to the Bebop 2 with succes. If they really are 10-15A ESCs then your 2210 motors with 7" props will easily overpower them. Kind of nice that Parrot designed a failsafe for them. How does the failsafe operate? Dus the ESC just shut off? Of does it limit current? That would be fancy.

0 Likes

It just cuts off and goes to failsafe mode. It probably measures current drawn and shuts off thinking that it has crashed.

0 Likes