Which drone and SDK is best for my research?

Hello,

I need to purchase a new drone for research purposes and need some help from you guys!!
I need to program this drone to do some stuff and move according to an algorithm.

I need the Drone and the SDK to be capable of doing the following:

1- Move according to generated x , y , and z positions.
2- The controller(main) mobile device will send some data to this drone and this drone should connect to mobile devices in its neighborhood and send them the data it currently received.
3- i need to be able to read the signal strength between the drone and the devices in its neighborhood.

Is this possible through BeBop 2 ? And is the SDK capable of helping me to undergo these communications? Any comments and suggestions is appreciated!!!

Thank you!!

Howdy Sasa,

I’ve been working with the Bebop 2 and would personally say that it is more than capable of accomplishing your tasks.

1 Like

Well the drone won’t be able to connect to more than one device. Not sure what you mean by other devices in the neighborhood, but I don’t think you’ll be able to do this. Unless I’m misunderstanding.

1 Like

hello,
@Slobdell
Thank you for your help. What i specifically mean is the following:

I have the main phone which is controlling the movement of the drone through a specific algorithm. when this drone fly I need it to connect to other devices in its flying area(neighborhood) so it can send some data to these phones.
I am using this drone as communication mean between the original phone(controlling this drone) and the other devices. what is going to happen is that the original controlling phone is going to send some data lets say a picture to the drone and the drone will distribute this picture to the other mobile devices in its flying neighborhood.

Is this possible? and is it possible to read the RSSI between the drone and each phone? Thank you for your help much appreciated !!!

@mmmeh
hello,
Thank you for your help. What i specifically mean is the following:

I have the main phone which is controlling the movement of the drone through a specific algorithm. when this drone fly I need it to connect to other devices in its flying area(neighborhood) so it can send some data to these phones.
I am using this drone as communication mean between the original phone(controlling this drone) and the other devices. what is going to happen is that the original controlling phone is going to send some data lets say a picture to the drone and the drone will distribute this picture to the other mobile devices in its flying neighborhood.

Is this possible? and is it possible to read the RSSI between the drone and each phone? Thank you for your help much appreciated !!!

Hi,

It is possible to:

• Move the drone according to x, y, z positions
  • Read rssi values (this is not provided by the sdk, but as you’ll be connected to the drone, I think any Wifi manager can do it).

It should be possible to:

• Connect what you call the mobile devices in its neighborhood to the drone (it is an access point), then open a socket from the controller (which is also connected to the drone) to the other devices to send them what you want.

An other way to achieve this is to connect the phone to a SkyController 2, control the drone with it and use the phone’s wifi to communicate with the nearby phones. With this solution, you’ll lose the nearby devices to drone rssi.

Regards,
Djavan

1 Like

@Djavan
Thank you for the reply!!!
I actually need to connect all the phones to the drone and not to the main phone.
The main phone(that is controlling the drone) is going to send data to the drone and the drone should send this data to all the phones.

Is this possible? and concerning reading the RSSI i actually found RSSI change event in the events triggered can’t i use this function?

You can sdk-connect only one phone to the drone. The others will be only wifi-connected to the drone.

I’m not sure you can make the drone forward data to connected phones. However, as I said, you can open socket from the controller to the nearby phones through the drone to send data.

Regards,
Djavan

1 Like

@Djavan

Thank you!!

doesn’t the drone usually stream the video it captures to the phone? wouldn’t it also be possible in the same way to send some data to other phones?

The drone does stream to the phone however as Djavan mentioned it will only connect to one device using the SDK.

@mmmeh
so it can only stream to one device?

@sasa2 To my knowledge, yes, the drone will only stream to a single device at a time.