ANAFI Camera FoV and Resolution

Hi,

I am working on a control code for parrot Anafi drone that moves the drone from point A to point B while recording a video along the motion, followed by downlinking the recorded video to a laptop after the flight. In order to design the flight I needed information on two of Anafi camera parameters, specifically:

1. Field of View (FoV)
  2. Camera Resolution

FoV: Although I could not get this information directly, some vendors list this parameter as 69 deg in the horizontal direction. So the first question I have is: Is the horizontal FoV a constant value of 69 deg for all ANAFI Camera resolution modes (ie 4k, 1080p, 480p, etc)?

Camera Resolution: For a while the drone downloaded videos that were of 4k resolution (3840x2160 pixels). However, after a recent drone firmware update on 3/6/20 from the free-flight app, the drone now defaults to a video recording resolution of 1080p (1920x1080 pixels). Is there a method where I can set the drone’s default recoding resolution to 3840x2160 pixels using the Olympe commands?

Any help would be very invaluable. Thank you very much for your time.

Here is the info from R&D :

video mode 4K30, no zoom

• Image width = 3840 pixels
  • Image height = 2160 pixels
  • Focal length = 2793.62 pixels

Photo mode rectified, no zoom

• Image width = 4608 pixels
  • Image height = 3456 pixels
  • Focal length = 2975.66 pixels

Focals value in pixel, as the image is always reprojected on the sensor.

Without reprojection (raw wide/fisheye picture)

Sensor :

Number of active pixels: 5344 (H) × 4016 (V) approx. 21.46 M pixels

Pixel size: 1.12 μm (H) × 1.12 μm (V)

Lens:

Fisheye camera model: distortion ~ f * theta

Focal length: f = 4.05e-3mm

3 Likes

Hi,

Yes, there is this set_recording_mode command message :
https://developer.parrot.com/docs/olympe/arsdkng_camera.html?highlight=set_recording_mode#olympe.messages.camera.set_recording_mode
Usage example:

drone(set_recording_mode(
    cam_id=0,
    mode="standard",
    resolution="res_uhd_4k",
    framerate="fps_30",
    hyperlapse="ratio_15"  # ignored in standard recording mode
)).wait(_timeout=2.).success()

Regards

Nicolas

1 Like

Thank you very much @Jerome and @ndessart for the helpful information. I guess the information clarifies the question regarding changing the video record mode.

Do you have any comments on the Angular Field of View of the Anafi Camera ? --Is 69 deg Horizontal FoV still an accurate value for the FoV ? , and is this constant for all modes ?

Sincerely,
Ravi

Hey @rnallapu I found some info you might find useful in the technical specs section near the bottom of this page: https://www.parrot.com/global/drones/anafi

These are the parts that might help

Video resolution :
    4K Cinema 4096x2160 24fps
    4K UHD 3840x2160 24/25/30fps
    FHD 1920x1080 24/25/30/48/50/60fps
    Video HFOV: 69°

Photo resolution :
    Wide: 21MP (5344x4016) / 4:3 / 84° HFOV
    Rectilinear: 16MP (4608x3456) / 4:3 / 75.5° HFOV

I would be careful with the 69* FOV for video though, 4K cinema vs. 4K UHD have the same pixel dimensions in the Y direction but NOT in the X direction…

I do have a few somewhat related questions. @Jerome I did the same math as you did to get the focal length pixels from HFOV, but I wanted to take it a step further to get DFOV. Did you get 88.128* as well?

I’m also somewhat confused by your comment re: reprojection and distortion. Did you mean if you were to calculate things using physical lengths as opposed to using the pixels?

1 Like