Gazebo ros plugins within sphinx under Ubuntu 18.04 and ROS melodic?

Hi,

I’d like to use the libgazebo_camera_ros plugins within a sphinx simulation. But I think it will probably be cumbersome and I want to share my analysis with you to see if I’m right or wrong.

I’m under Ubuntu 18.04 with ROS Melodic, Sphinx 0.29.1 (which embeds gazebo 7).

For using a camera published to ROS, I need to use the libgazebo_ros_camera.so plugin. But I cannot install it from the repo because the repo hosts the plugins compiled for Gazebo9 (Gazebo).

So I need to compile it on my system with the gazebo 7 libs installed in /opt/parrot-sphinx/usr/libs for example. But I may run into issues because the source codes of the ROS gazebo plugins (GitHub - ros-simulation/gazebo_ros_pkgs: Wrappers, tools and additional API's for using ROS with Gazebo) for gazebo7 are supposed to be compiled with versions before ROS melodic (kinetic or lunar) and the API may have changed from kinetic/lunar to melodic.

So ,in summary, the best ROS option for Sphinx 0.29.1 is ROS kinetic.
But then, Kinetic is not easily installable with Ubuntu 18.04 .

Jeremy.

1 Like

Hello Jeremy,

We plan to migrate Sphinx to the latest version of Gazebo. In the meantime, I don’t see a better solution than to find a way to install ROS kinetic on Ubuntu 18.04.

In the meantime I will try to have a docker container with parrot-sphinx. Will follow this thread : Running Sphinx inside Docker container

Jeremy.

Hello ocrave,
hope you are fine,
i am trying to implement an heterogeneous swarm using sphinx. I am working on 18.04 and ros melodic. I managed to connect multiple bebop2 using bebop_autonomy and i able to manipulate with it. Also i have included px4 copter and rover. If i dont include some libraries (where it gives me warning) i can spawn them into the simulation world but i cant manipulate them cause of the missing libs, otherwise the simulation crashes cause the libraries are built for gazebo 9. So i want to ask you, if there is any sphinx available for gazebo 9 or any other way to include gazebo 9 libs in sphinx libs.

Best regards
Giannis

1 Like

Hello Giannis,

We don’t have plans to update the gazebo version used by Sphinx in the near future. Our gazebo version is significantly different from the official one and it would be cumbersome to merge them together.