Light sources using custom environments

Hello,

I’ve been using the custom 3D environment documentation to simulate my scene, which is a simple large room with a few obstacles and 9 light bulbs generating the light (without natural light). I’m using parrot-ue4-empty environment to populate it with my meshes.

My issue concerns the illumination of the scene. I want to have similar light conditions as in my real-world scenario. I’ve tried to:

• Use the About sky and light documentation to change the preset to indoor at runtime, but it didn’t affect the lighting.
  • Use the Areas documentation to tag the area of my room as indoor (I’ve checked the visualization of the tag, and it’s where it’s supposed to be), but the lightning didn’t change.

Would creating a custom Unreal Engine application the only way to achieve different lighting conditions?

Hello,

As explained here, depending on the world, the sky can be configured in static or dynamic mode.
Most Unreal apps have a dynamic sky but parrot-ue4-empty is not one of them, that’s why you can’t have access to presets.
To see if a world contains a static or a dynamic sky, you can execute:

sphinx-cli param -m world sky/sky mode

Hello Ocrave,

Thank you for your response. I understand that a static sky is better for performance. While I’m not concerned about the performance decrease, I’m looking for the simplest world where I can modify lighting for my basic room with a few obstacles. The room and obstacles are meshes that I place using the .yaml configuration file.

So far, I’ve found that parrot-ue4-sphx-tests obstacle_avoidance and parrot-ue4-sphx-tests autotests are the most suitable for this task (they have a dynamic sky). However, the lighting of the indoor preset still doesn’t meet my needs.

I would like to insert 9 light sources to replicate the light bulbs from my real scene. If possible, I’d prefer to do this using the .yaml file (or some other solution), as creating a custom Unreal Engine application would require more work.