Set_photo_mode fails to set DNG format

Hi all,

I am struggling with this problem using Olympe. Apparently, I cannot set the DNG photo format in set_photo_mode on my Anafi. Tried also with the simulator but the result is the same.

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

The command I am sending to the drone is the following:

set_photo_mode(0,
               "single",
               "full_frame",
               "dng",
               "burst_14_over_1s", # ignored if not burst mode
               "preset_1ev", # ignored if not bracketing mode
               1 # ignored if not timelapse or gpslapse
               )

I tried with different combinations, e.g., using the “rectilinear” format instead of “full_frame”, but nothing, the command still fails. If I set “jpeg” instead, the command succeeds.

I am running a recent version of Olympe (I reinstalled it about one week ago). I also set the camera mode to “photo” before sending the set_photo_mode command.

Thanks!

Turn on verbose logging for Olympe, then search for “camera.photo_capabilities” in olympe.log. You must use one of the format combinations listed there or else your set_photo_mode command will fail. Here is an example of what I see in olympe.log on my drone:

_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_capabilities(id=0, photo_modes='single|time_lapse|gps_lapse', photo_formats='full_frame', photo_file_formats='dng_jpeg', hdr=supported.not_supported, list_flags='First')
_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_capabilities(id=1, photo_modes='single|time_lapse|gps_lapse', photo_formats='rectilinear', photo_file_formats='dng_jpeg', hdr=supported.not_supported, list_flags='')
_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_capabilities(id=2, photo_modes='single|burst|time_lapse|gps_lapse', photo_formats='full_frame', photo_file_formats='jpeg', hdr=supported.supported, list_flags='')
_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_capabilities(id=3, photo_modes='single|burst|time_lapse|gps_lapse', photo_formats='rectilinear', photo_file_formats='jpeg', hdr=supported.supported, list_flags='')
_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_capabilities(id=4, photo_modes='bracketing', photo_formats='full_frame', photo_file_formats='jpeg|dng_jpeg', hdr=supported.not_supported, list_flags='')
_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_capabilities(id=5, photo_modes='bracketing', photo_formats='rectilinear', photo_file_formats='jpeg|dng_jpeg', hdr=supported.not_supported, list_flags='Last')

DNG is only supported for some of these entries. After you call set_photo_mode, what shows up in olympe.log? You should see a photo_mode() response log entry indicating whether it worked or not. See docs

_send_command_impl - camera.set_photo_mode(0, <photo_mode.single: 0>, <photo_format.rectilinear: 1>, <photo_file_format.jpeg: 0>, <burst_value.burst_14_over_1s: 2>, <bracketing_preset.preset_1ev: 0>, 0.0) has been sent to the device
_recv_cmd_cb - camera.photo_mode(cam_id=0, mode=photo_mode.single, format=photo_format.rectilinear, file_format=photo_file_format.jpeg, burst=burst_value.burst_14_over_1s, bracketing=bracketing_preset.preset_1ev, capture_interval=0.0, list_flags='')

Yes, so I tried using the simulator as I don’t have the Anafi right now. Indeed, it’s what you said. Apparently, photo_file_format.dng is not supported by any of the combinations listed by the simulator, but I can use photo_file.format.dng_jpeg and I should be able to take photos both in DNG and JPEG, right?

Using dng_jpeg the set_photo_mode command now succeeds, but I still get JPG photos only (no DNG), maybe because it is a simulator and not a real drone. I’ll try on the Anafi as soon as I can.

Thanks for the response, very helpful!

According to docs, dng_jpeg means “photo recorded in both DNG and JPEG format. (2)”. Not sure what the simulator does with that. Try using the media API to see if your mediastore has two photos (one in each format).