Sphinx 2.3 Installation fails on add interface step

Good day.

I am trying to install Sphinx 2.3 to my Ubuntu 18.04 environment. I have access to the repositories and so it finds the package just fine, but when I install it, it fails when creating the virtual ethernet devices in /etc/network/interfaces.

The following packages will be upgraded:
  parrot-sphinx
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/227 MB of archives.
After this operation, 557 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 278618 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../parrot-sphinx_2.3_amd64.deb ...
firmwared said bye bye
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/parrot-sphinx_2.3_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 new parrot-sphinx package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 128
add "@firmwared - rtprio 100" to /etc/security/limits.conf
add "iface fd_vethXXX inet manual" to /etc/network/interfaces
Saved 1 file(s)
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/parrot-sphinx_2.3_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

When I inspect /etc/network/interfaces afterwards it has 256 veth interfaces defined. I tried removing all of those interfaces manually and performing the install again, but it fails int he same way. I currently have Sphinx 1.2 installed, so it is possible that is playing into the issue.

iface fd_veth0 inet manual
iface fd_veth255 inet manual

Has anyone else encountered this? I was contemplating removing Sphinx 1.2 and trying to install rather than upgrade, but I thought I would test the waters here first.

Regards,
Tom

Hello,

You can’t have multiple versions installed. Their files are in the same /opt/parrot-sphinx directory.

Thanks @ocrave. I will try to uninstall the older version first.

Regards,
Tom

sudo apt remove parrot-sphinx
sudo apt install parrot-sphinx

did seem to work. Thanks @ocrave. It might be beneficial to add some mention of this in the Installation section of the Sphinx 2.3 documentation for others who may be upgrading.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.