Sphinx in a VM on a Synology (DS920+) NAS

I was pleasantly surprised recently to learn that I can run sphinx on my Synology NAS within an Ubuntu VM in headless mode using sphinx-server and a captured ralink USB wifi antenna on the unit.

I had to completely disable the camera in my .drone file to get this to work. I was hopeful (not really) that maybe headless mode may bypass the video card requirements but now I’m feeling like that isn’t the case.

I followed the instruction here (https://developer.parrot.com/docs/sphinx/virtualbox.html) omitting port forwarding.

My NAS sits in the far corner of my basement and with my beefy ralink long range USB wifi adapter I can successfully connect to it from just about anywhere in my house.

Is there any way at all to bypass the video card requirements? It seems to me in headless mode it would be nothing more than generic computational units but, for all I know, OpenGL / GLX apis are being used via a hardware bound encoder or w/e regardless of the mode sphinx runs in.

If the client conputer is connected to the wifi network, can the virtual machine search for the wifi port wlan0? Have you found a solution to the virtual machine graphics card problem?

Sphinx needs two interfaces… Your “normal” one is how you get to its dashboard and is also where firmwared goes to download drone binaries.

The captured interface is turned into a WAP and how you connect to the drone.

This is how I’ve always run it. Other means were always met with failure. As I’m focused on writing code, I only commit so much time to Sphinx itself.

Regarding video and VMs I have had decent success with (the latest versions) of Fusion and Parallels in low quality gfx modes on my (beefy) MBP. Parallels just recently added gl3 support. For the longest time I could only get it to work on Fusion, but that changed recently with the latest version of Parallels.

Running it on my Synology was really just a silly test I did recently because I was curious if I could get it to capture the USB Wi-Fi adapter, which it did no problem. I didn’t expect it to work at all TBT knowing how heavy Sphinx is on graphic card requirements and prior experience getting it running under Fusion.

Since I don’t do much with the Sphinx UI as it is, now that I understand a little bit about sphinx-server I may try it on my legit VMs.

Shell